Monday, October 5, 2009

19 weeks 2 days

I felt the baby move from the outside for the first time yesterday!  I was sitting down in the morning when I felt him start to wiggle, so I stuck my hand on my belly.  Within a few seconds, I felt a couple bumps on the palm of my hand.  It was so exciting!!!  I can't wait until Dave gets to feel him.  It's so surreal.

He's been quite the squirmy baby lately.  I feel him quite often now.  In fact, on Saturday as I was driving to Charlotte, he was twisting his body in some crazy way that kept putting a really weird pressure on my bladder.  I didn't even need to use the restroom, but I was sooo uncomfortable!  I have no doubt it's only going to get worse.  But at least it's so exciting and comforting to feel him. :)


Here are a few tidbits I picked up from various websites:

**This week, eyebrows and head hair are growing.

**The baby now sleeps and wakes at about the same ratio as a newborn, which is approximately 6 hours awake and 18 or so hours asleep per day. When the baby sleeps, it characteristically settles into its favorite position or 'lie.' Some babies always sleep with their chins resting on the chest, while others tilt their heads back.

**From week 14 to week 22, the placenta weighs as much as, if not more than, the baby because it must deal with the metabolic processes of nutrition. The fetal organs are not yet sufficiently mature to process food.

**Generally, the baby will be born about 147 days (plus or minus 15 days) from the time the mother first feels the baby move. (This puts the baby's birth at February 10th, plus or minus 15 days.   So from January 31st to March 2nd.  I sure hope he doesn't come on January 31st!! That's too early!!  He needs some fat on those bones!!)


And, finally, I wanted to share the most recent additions to our ever-growing collection of baby supplies:


We purchased this changing table off of Craigslist for $40, and it came with the pad and three Pottery Barn pad covers (pink, green, and blue).  We're going to paint it to match the crib. (You can see the crib here.) I think (hope) the curved design of the sides will help it blend with the crib. :)


This is a bouncy seat my mom and dad are letting us borrow. I think it's pretty cute. :) It also lights up, vibrates, responds to the baby's movements, and plays non-annoying sounds (score!). Pretty cool. :)


And finally, here is a swing to match the bouncy seat, also being lent by my parents. Once again, a very-much-appreciated item!! I've heard swings can be great lifesavers.

Our collection is coming along!!  Dave and I are going window-shopping tonight to figure out what type of stroller/carseat combo we want.  (Travel system or separate items?  What brand?  How much do we want to spend?  What are important features??)  I'm kind of excited to go. :)

1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting that you could feel him move by placing your hand on your belly! You've got alot of good stuff - it looks like you are really getting prepared. Aren't Craig's List and parents great?

    ReplyDelete