Thursday, October 1, 2009

18 weeks 5 days

Well, now that we know Besido is a boy, I guess we can start calling him by his real name...Krewson. :)  Dave had picked this name out for his son long ago, probably before we were married.  It's his mom's maiden name.  I was happy to comply, as I think it's a pretty cool name.  We're going to use Krew for short. The middle name is still to be decided on.  We're having a hard time finding something that flows the way we want.  I'll let you know when a decision is made. :)

Yesterday at the doc's office, I weighed myself while we were waiting to be called back for the ultrasound.  I've been ravenous lately, so I was a little nervous about what I might see on the scale.  To my shock, I hadn't gained any weight since my last appt.  Nothing in two weeks.  I'm like, "Holy cow, where has everything I've been eating been going???"  The only thing I can come up with is that our little boy requires an insane amount of food.  Just today, I had a giant glass of milk and a piece of high fiber toast in the morning.  By 10 am my stomach was growling horribly (and I was actually hungry far before that).  So I ate another piece of high-fiber toast with peanut butter.  Still hungry.  So I ate another piece of high-fiber toast with peanut butter.  Still hungry.  I'm like, this is ridiculous.  I'd been drinking tons of fluids all along, too.  I didn't let myself eat anything else until 11am, at which point I gave in and pulled out some soup and chips and salsa.   I'm eating these items slowly, hoping they'll last me a little longer than the bread.  I'm about halfway through the bowl of soup and I think my stomach is finally starting to feel full (which will last for about, oh, 5 minutes).  At least I'll feel satiated for a short while.

On another note, this pregnancy also appears to be killing my teeth.  I'd heard that women tend to start getting more cavities when they're pregnant, but I never worried about it happening to me.  Until I went to the dentist on Tuesday because of tooth pains.  Lo and behold, I have two, possibly three, teeth that need fillings.  I'm not exactly thrilled about this.  I barely ever get cavities.  I had one when I was really little, like third grade, and then I had a bunch at once when I was older because my sealants on my molars leaked (which means the cavities were unavoidable and had nothing to do with my personal hygiene or brushing habits).  So I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed in myself or not when I found out on Tuesday that they need to drill into my head in several places.  I think I'm going to vote no, that I shouldn't blame myself.  If anything, I've been healthier lately in regards to my teeth.  Less sugar, less coffee, stringent brushing.  So I think I'll blame the pregnancy.  Yay for raging hormones and a baby sucking all the calcium out of your body.  Pregnancy is AWESOME!!!

But really, now that I've seen Krew and we know his gender, I feel like I can identify with him more.  He's more real now.  And now I just want him to come out and be born.  I want to see him again and hold him.  I feel like 5 months is forever to wait.  I'm sure it will fly by, because there is tons to do before then, but man I wish it was closer.  If anything, I wish I could go have an ultrasound every week so I could look at him and watch him grow.  It's like you get this little peak at what's coming, then you just have to wait.  And wait.  You have a baby, but he's unreachable, because he's stuck inside of you.  How bizarre is that.

At least I have his kicks to give me a little pick-me-up.  They're getting stronger and more frequent now.  Definitely not all the time, but I usually feel him at least once or twice a day.  Sometimes there will be a whole series of kicks and I get really excited.  He's actually quite the active kid.  He was moving all around during the ultrasound, making it hard for the technician to get good pictures.  So once he's stronger, I'll probably be feeling a lot of movement.  Which will probably be fine with me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Cool name! I like it.
    My aunt had the same problem when she was pregnant, so I know you're probably right, that pregnancy is giving you some problems as far as cavities go. But honestly, even though I'm a dental hygienist, I have no idea why! Pregnancy can definitely cause your gums to be more inflamed (so brush, brush, brush - and don't forget to floss, because that's really important), but they never talked about pregnant women getting more cavities in school. It's a mystery. Though the reason your gums can get inflamed is because the pregnancy hormones do sneak their way into your mouth, and gingivitis bacteria thrive on those hormones - so maybe Streptococcus mutans (the cavity bug) thrives on those hormones too - that might make sense.
    Anyway, there's a dental hygienist's take on it!

    ReplyDelete